Saturday, February 4, 2012

Nobody's Coming


The last thing we want is for this blog to be all about our family and our little adopted orphan. But the things coming out of Collins' mouth these days are profound, and are a driving force as we put one foot in front of the other to accomplish the mission of Orbie for Orphans.

I'm not a person who cries, but I'm crying as I type this. My husband just held me as I let it out, and before that I spent 15 minutes bawling my eyes out in the shower. Tonight was like any other night. I was putting Collins to bed. Got an idea from a friend to have each of us think of something that we could thank Jesus for before we said bedtime prayers. I told Collins that mine was going to be that she had the incredible experience today of taking a plant and a card to an elderly friends home that just got a cancer diagnosis. On her turn she said, "I fank (thank) Jesus that in China you came. Mommy, I worried you not come! I worried Mommy and Daddy not come!" We talked it about it a little, I kissed her goodnight, and then ran to the shower to release the pain inside. Approximately 153 million orphans. Less than 1% of that number adopted each year. The pain I could imagine my child felt, worrying that we weren't coming TIMES MILLIONS. And guess what? Chances are...nobody IS coming.

That is the very reason we started Orbie for Orphans, and that is the very reason we are asking everybody we know to help us do this. A child that has nobody, and will get nobody....needs to be reached with the truth that "Thee Somebody" is with them. This is the One that will never leave them or forsake Him. The Great I AM. The One that loves them the most, and the only One that can heal them and give them hope for the future.

I've moved way beyond being "worried" about asking people to give to our organization. This is for orphans who are "worried" that nobody is coming. I'm getting courageous because I'm asking for children who have nobody.

2 nights ago we were going to Conner's basketball game and I asked Collins if she was going to sit with the cheerleaders like she normally does. She said she'd rather sit with us. She said, "I'm away from you too long." I said, "No, we've been together all day." She said, "Mommy, in China I'm away from you too long!" Last night, when I asked her what she wanted to thank Jesus for she got a huge grin on her face and said, "A BIG family!" She went from nobody, the big ZERO, to parents, 2 brothers, grandmothers, cousins, aunts and uncles....It blows her mind. When we started this whole adoption journey, we wanted a 2-3 year old. I can see why there was a much better plan. A child who spent ages 2-5 in an orphanage could tell us what it was like being an orphan. After having her 16 months, all those feelings are finally being expressed. It's heart-wrenching, but it compels us. Her pain and the love of Christ compel us to get the message to these kids that Somebody came 2000 years ago just for them. "Even if my mother and father forsake me, the Lord will take me in." Psalm 27:10

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Jill, for such a moving story. It has taken me out of my own little world to really thinking about these orphans and asking God what I can do. I am praying for you, your family and Orbie for Orphans.
    Love, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your journey continues to amaze me. We will continue to lift you, your family and Orbie for Orphans in prayer that God will bless you beyond measure to be able to reach these millions of children and share the Good News with them about Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. We are going through a lot of the same conversations with Miss K. I am always surprised by not only how much she remembers, but by how raw it still is for her. She was only 2 1/2 when we brought her home and still, so much detail, so much longing, so much needs to still heal. I am so very thankful I know the Healer and that she too is getting to know him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Such an amazing family and testimony. Hope I can adopt a sweet face like Collins one day. How blessed she is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm Balling!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for this! My husband & I are adopting again, & hopefully we will be able to share "who" soon!!! But, we too are adopting an "older" child, this time. I am in the Yahoo Jiangmen Group with you & that's how I stumbled upon this blog. Call it a God thing!! I think the ministry that you & your husband are doing is great! Anything I can do to help you... PLEASE let me know!!!!!!! God Bless you!!!
    Keisha & Matt Walker
    www.walkerwalker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete