Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Good Pain

Tonight I was racing through the bathroom, trying to get Collins' bedtime routine done in about 3 minutes. I was rushing to get her in her p.j.'s, teeth brushed and hands washed so that I could get back downstairs to our friends and the Phase 10 card game. In the flurry of activity, she softly said, "Mommy, I've got to tell you something." Occasionally I have enough smarts to know that this is gonna be one of those golden moments. I stopped, leaned down and looked into her eyes. She said, "In China, I MISSED you." I said, "Oh Collins, how I missed you! I waited so long too. Did you know you didn't have a mommy?" (She was in the orphanage from age 2 to almost 5). She shook her head yes and said, "I prayed for a mommy." Earlier today, Carl was trying to get her to go with him to the track to run and play soccer. Normally, that's right up her alley but today she said no, she wanted to stay with me. She said, "I away from Mommy too long in China." As we finished up our conversation tonight I was reminded of that familiar pain...the pain that a small child or teenager feels who doesn't have a mom or dad. That pain is good for Carl and I to feel, because it motivates us to work harder and faster to get this much needed Bible Study to these broken hearts. This is a huge vision that God has put before us. It will take an army of people to make it happen. We need families who might give up eating one meal out a month, who could send $30 a month to Orbie for Orphans. Or a mom who could give up one Starbucks a week and send us $20 a month...a man who could sacrifice one golf game a month and send $75. Please prayerfully consider joining us in this incredible mission to bring life change to kids without families.

No comments:

Post a Comment