Friday, September 24, 2010

From Carl...September 24th...

I remember several years ago Dr. Ed Young from Houston teaching on raising your children. The title was, "How to Tame Their Will But Not Break Their Spirit" and this little girl has both with plenty to go around. It is so exciting to see Collins wanting to enjoy every moment of life with so much zest. I mean she hits the ground running just moments after she gets up. Like Jill said, she tries to test boundaries and our patience. For the last 3 years of her life in the orphanage everything was limited or rationed...but now she feels like this bird that has been freed that is experiencing all of these wonderful things of life. And wow is she exploring those boundaries...As with any child who doesn't get their way, her tendency is to whine, and we don't "do whining." But these are things she has to learn, all the while understanding that we love her, and that we will try to meet her needs but not every single want. After raising two boys, I'm learning about DRAMA...but what a great thing for me to have a little girl. If we are out of the hotel room, which is quite often, she wants me to carry her. Jill has decided I might as well give up weight lifting; she covers that area for me. When I realize how starved this child is for affection and attention, it hits me that for 5 years she has missed so much! After just a week with her, it is hard for me to describe the bond I already have with her. Is it possible to love an adopted child as much as your biological children? Yes! I want to give back a double portion of what she has missed. We have wondered why our trip turned into 3 weeks when most are 16 days. When we get home, I hit the ground running with work and life stuff, and I can see that this is her focused time, because God knew that she would need it. This morning I was talking to a mom who has adopted 3 times from China. She told me that Collins hitting her head against the pillow was a soothing thing for her, typical of a rocking motion as if someone was rocking her. Tonight when she was hitting her head against the seat on the way to the airport, I thought to myself, "she doesn't have to do this anymore!" As soon as she fell asleep I had to grab her and pull her into my arms. Everyday that goes by, she seems so grateful and loving. The last 2 mornings at breakfast, she got out of her seat and went and kissed Conner on the cheek, then came around to Jill, kissed her and then on to me. Around and around; we all got multiple kisses. What is better than that? Conner has been such a help in this transition and we have been so glad that he was here with us. Spencer has been able to see her and talk to her through Skype and will get to fly home to meet her in mid October. Blessings upon blessings...

2 comments:

  1. I am next door neighbors with Jill's cousin here in Austin and I got to meet Jill at the Summit in Minneapolis. Anyway, first, congratulations!!! And I just wanted to say, that the time we got to spend with our daughter in China is still one of the most precious times in our lives. To just be with her, with no outside pressures, was such a blessing! I am glad you are getting that precious time with Collins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing that no matter how many times we see and learn that the Lord's timing is perfect, we are still amazed to learn it again? We felt the same thing with our trip to get Kate. The delays, the wait, the timing, everything was off according to my infinite wisdom. But God knew what Kate needed and where we needed to be to meet that. And while it was hard for us, and stressful for us, it was perfect for her. Absolutely perfect. God is good all of the time!

    ReplyDelete