Friday, July 13, 2012

Under My Skin

I knew going to Haiti would be hard in many ways. And it was. But by far the most difficult thing was leaving. We fell in love with all the kids, but there were a few that really got under our skin. For me (Jill) it was a 12 year old boy living in the orphanage. He was the one that volunteered to give a recap of the Bible story of Joseph's abandonment after all the boys had watched our first video. All the kids would constantly hug us, kiss us on the cheek, sit on our lap, follow us everywhere we went. But this one boy was special to me and I was special to him. He was by my side most of the time. Of the 6 days we were there, the pit in my stomach formed on day 4. This was due to my thoughts about having to leave him. On the 5th day when we left for the day, he stood outside the orphanage, waving sadly at me, until we drove out of sight. The last day, he was just SO SAD. I just kept hugging him. He wrote me a letter and gave it to me right before we left. With hearts drawn all over it, it said: Jesus love you very much I love you soooooo much sooooo much I never forget you. Oh precious child, I will never forget you either. Your sadness is what drives me everyday. Your brokenness is what led us to risk everything to lead Orbie for Orphans. I pray that God will bring him a family. And I pray that God will use our discipleship material to transform the heart of this sweet boy that got under my skin.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jill, this is so hard. :-( Can you share his first name and how he came to be at the orphanage? I am praying for this precious one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, Jill. Haiti will always have a special place in my heart. Yes, it is so hard to leave. I am so happy that you are blessed to go and love on them. Miss you my precious friend.--Maria

    ReplyDelete