Thursday, November 4, 2010

Progress

Hey All,
Life with Collins is getting sweeter every day! She came into our lives on Sept. 16th so we've had her about 6-7 weeks. She's beginning to speak some sentences in English, even though I believe she understands most of the things we say to her. I guess its normal to process things and take them in first before speaking them. The other night at dinner Carl took a sip from my glass and she said, "That's Mommy's cup". Wow, we couldn't believe it, just felt like it was all of a sudden. Everyday since then baby sentences are coming out a little at a time. Things like, "Again, Daddy", "Call Gran Jan", "Let's sing", and of course...."Where's the candy?"! She is a busy, busy active girl just bustling through life everyday. I was thinking about putting her in preschool one or two days a week, thinking that she was missing being around kids. But each time we're in groups of kids at church, she clings to me like I'm her lifeline. Actually she is like that even at home. I can't go into another room without her. She's my very dependent sidekick, although if I leave and Carl is here she is fine. I've decided to wait on preschool, because as my cousin who adopted from China told me, "She is telling you what she needs." Obviously she needs mommy time. That is what she hasn't had and she desperately needs it and wants it. The other night I made some popcorn and she and I sat on one couch with our bowls, and Conner was on the other couch with his bowl. We were watching the World Series. She got settled in, took a bite, and then just stopped. She looked at me with this look on her face like this was one of the best moments of her life! She was processing how great this was. Eating on the couch, baseball, family, and the amazing taste of popcorn! She doesn't take naps at home but will fall asleep in the car often. Every single time, when she opens her eyes and she realizes where she is, her eyes light up and she is very happy! I guess she realizes this new life is not going to go away everytime she wakes up. For Halloween, she dressed up as a princess fairy. The crown didn't last long, but she had a great time at Hoopla at church and then handing out candy at our house. Once she realized the drill, she took her job very seriously. If she saw someone turn into our driveway, she would race up to them, and thrust candy into their bag whether they wanted it or not. These early days of adoption are still pretty intense, but it is so incredible to see how far Collins has come in such a short time. She will still test us on things, and still doesn't like to hear "no", but these times are becoming few and far between. She's had to figure out what boundaries are without knowing our language, so we think she's something else to be doing as good as she is! I took her to work with me today, and she sat there for 2.5 hours playing quietly. One of the ladies there who is a teacher, said in all seriousness, that she thought we had won the jackpot with this one. I have to agree. She was definitely worth the wait.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment